The first general meeting of Hunts SC was held on the 22nd March 1954 in the Sun Inn, Hartford Road near Huntingdon and was attended by 15 prospective members. The meeting resulted in the formation of the club with the brief "To promote and facilitate the sport of yachting".
A site on the River Ouse near Houghton was rented from a local farmer and regular handicap racing started for a mixed fleet of GP 14's, Herons, Graduate and Cadet dinghies. In 1955 the club consolidated its position by purchasing the Houghton site, achieved with accumulated funds and interest free loans from the members. The clubhouse was an old showman's caravan and race control was carried out from a houseboat. The first slipway was installed in 1956 and a permanent race officer's box was built a year later. The land to gain access from the road to the riverbank was purchased in 1956 for £182 and preparations were being made to connect a permanent water supply.
The first open meeting was held in 1956 for British Moths, a class still sailed actively in the club today. The racing programme had started to increase, team racing against the Cam and Denver sailing clubs, the first Enterprise open meeting was held and in 1962 Wednesday evening racing for the Twilight Tankard started. Another major milestone was reached in the club's short history when the current riverside clubhouse and toilet blocks were built in the period 1963-65. The clubhouse contained catering facilities, men's and ladies changing rooms, a large lounge area and a permanent water supply. The project was financed by a government grant and interest free loans from the membership.
When Grafham Water opened in the sixties, some of the racing fraternity were attracted to its wide open acres but fortunately Hunts SC survived and some of them came back later! Further improvements were in progress at Houghton, a new race officer's box was erected, the banks were piled and an all weather car park surface was laid. The dinghy park was sown with grass and permanent berths were laid out. Electricity arrived at the site in 1972 with the total cost being met anonymously by a member. The same year a liquor license was granted.
The move to Meadow Lane Lake
An opportunity arose in 1975 to sail on open water in St. Ives. A great deal of discussion and debate took place amongst the members over the course of action the club should follow. Several trial sails were organised to try out the various lakes. A move to a lake was seen as probably being the right thing to do, but it meant the club starting from scratch again as far as off water facilities were concerned. After much heart searching the members mandated the committee to make the move.
During the long hot summer of that year members contributed their time and labour to get the site ready. ARC who owned the lake, allowed the club, as part of the agreement, to use the field next to the lake as a dinghy park and car park. On the 31st August 1975 racing transferred from the river site to Meadow Lane for the start of the Autumn series. 1976 was the first full season at the lake and week by week the number of boats in the dinghy park increased, the size of the two adopted fleets swelled. The Enterprise fleet increased to 50 and the British Moth fleet was 30 strong. Two new classes were adopted for racing for the 1977 season, the National Solo and the Mirror dinghy. As the years passed racing fleets have built in popularity and others have faded. Needless to say it was not long before the most popular dinghy in the world, the Laser, was adopted as a racing fleet.
On the 3rd July 1976 the club was officially opened by the then mayor of St. Ives, Mr. Rex Wadsworth. He described the sailing club as the final link in the chain of the town's sporting facilities that were second to none.
Towards the end of 1979 thoughts were turning towards replacing the prefabricated building that served as the clubhouse with something larger and more appropriate to serve the needs of a club that was growing rapidly. This culminated in the opening of the brick built clubhouse on the 8th September 1984.